Use of biogas
- Methane gas produced in the anaerobic digestion process is collected and stored in a gas holder (see picture).
- Methane gas is a combustible material that is used to produce electricity.
- Electricity is produced at the plant with two units, each with a generator and gas engine having an output of 1250 kW.
- The methane gas supplies about 40% of the treatment plant’s energy consumption.
- This system recycles all of the methane gas produced at the plant to produce energy.
- In unusual cases, gas surpluses are burned off.