Disposal of sludge
- After dewatering, the concentrated sludge contains approximately 20% solids, of which about 75% are volatile solids.
- Approximately 70,000 tons of sludge are produced annually at the treatment plant.
- The dewatered sludge is transferred by trucks to treatment sites outside of the plant.
- The sludge undergoes a composting process at these sites.
- Composting is a biological process that is accompanied by the production of heat that converts the sludge into a homogeneous and environmentally-friendly material.
- The final product at the end of this process is marketed as an agricultural fertilizer.
Sludge disposal containers